Review this week’s message.
Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the Lord is kept safe.
Proverbs 29:25 NIV
Obviously, I’m not trying to win the approval of people, but of God. If pleasing people were my goal, I would not be Christ’s servant.
Galatians 1:10 NLT
... But because of the Pharisees they would not openly acknowledge their faith for fear they would be put out of the synagogue; for they loved human praise more than praise from God.
John 12:42-43 NIV
On the contrary, we speak as those approved by God to be entrusted with the gospel. We are not trying to please people but God, who tests our hearts. ... We were not looking for praise from people, not from you or anyone else ...
1 Thessalonians 2:4, 6 NIV
Start talking. Find a conversation starter for your group.
- When you were young, whose approval meant the most to you? Why?
- Have you ever cared too much about what others thought? How did your desire for approval affect you?
Start thinking. Ask a question to get your group thinking.
- People-pleasers battle three problems: obsessing over what others think, feeling overly sensitive to criticism, and having a hard time saying “no.” Which problem most describes you? Why do you think you have a hard time with that particular problem?
- In what ways is fearing what others think a trap?
- Read Galatians 1:10. If we were to prioritize Christ’s approval over the approval of others, how might that change our lives and our relationships?
Start sharing. Choose a question to create openness.
- What are some ways you can stop seeking approval from others?
- What steps can you take to truly start embracing who God says you are?
Start praying. Be bold and pray with power.
Father, thank You that we don’t have to earn Your approval or the approval of anyone else. Thank You for Your Son’s sacrifice, which secured all the approval we’ll ever need. Help us to embrace the freedom Your approval gives us more and more this week. In Jesus’ name, amen.
Start doing. Commit to a step and live it out this week.
- Read the Additional Key Scriptures and meditate on who God says you are this week.
- We’re all chasing something. Interested in learning a better way of living? Then check out the Chasing Carrots Bible Plan: www.go2.lc/chasing
Additional Key Scriptures
2 Corinthians 5:17 NIV
Ephesians 1:7 NIV
Romans 8:37 NIV
Ephesians 2:10 NLT
Matthew 5:14 NIV
Romans 8:11 NIV
Romans 8:17 NIV
2 Corinthians 5:20 NIV
2 Corinthians 5:21 NIV
Romans 1:7 NIV
Find this in our app. Open the app, choose this message, then tap “Talk It Over.”
Get this in your inbox. Visit info.life.church/talkitover
Whoever finds God, finds life. More of God’s truth all week long at finds.life.church